Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Holiday Ornament How To

Barb here - telling you how I made this ornament.  There are many ideas all over the net on how to decorate the glass bulbs you can buy at the craft stores.  This ornament is one I did this year.


This one of the flatter ornaments so the front surface is a good one to do some artwork on.

I first primed the glass with Gesso.  I had bought some clear Gesso and wanted to try that.  Here is what it looks like on the front of the ornament.


Not really that clear.  Hmmmm - false advertising.  I used regular Gesso on a page of a book and then stamped my snowman (Paper Smooches).



I colored the snowman with my Big Brush Pens from Faber Castell and carefully cut him out.  I used gel medium to put him on the front of my ornament.


Oops and once again I forgot to take pictures of what I did so get your imagination working here to see what I am talking about.  I used embossing paste and made a snowbank for my snowman to sit in.  I then used my distress paints and colored the sky.  After it was dry, I used a new stencil and made those random dots with more embossing paste.  I added some snowflake stickers I had.  I brushed the snowman and snowbank with a glitter and glass bead gel from Faber Castell.  I used more normal gel medium over the top of the sky to set the color and the stickers.


I decided I wanted to fill the bulb with some sparkly gift bag shreds.


Lucky me - I found 3 bags of these shreds in my supplies so guess I need to get busy and make some more ornaments.

Thanks for stopping by the blog today.  Make sure you enter our monthly challenge.

3 comments:

  1. This is so adorable and looks like a fun project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the ornament, I have some of that sparkly shredded stuff too. Maybe I could find a use for it.

    ReplyDelete